A Bird's Eye View on Home Improvement

Treating Burn Injuries

Posted by on May 31, 2016 in Burn Injuries | 0 comments

Burn injuries are caused by forces such as heat, chemicals, friction, or electricity. They can range from mild to severe, depending on the degree of severity. According to the website of the Mazin & Associates Law Firm, burn injuries may require either emergency or prolonged medical care. Except for first degree burns, all other injuries may often require medical attention in order to properly assess and treat the burn. Here are some tips on treating burn injuries:

For minor burns:

  1. Hold the affected area under cool (not cold) running water for 10 to 15 minutes or until the pain subsides. Another option is to apply a clean towel dampened with cool tap water.
  2. Ensure that the burned area is free from rings and other items. Do this gently and quickly before swelling appears in the affected area.
  3. Avoid breaking small blisters. If they do, gently apply mild soap and water to the broken blisters. After cleaning the area, apply an antibiotic treatment and then cover with a nonstick gauze bandage.
  4. In some cases, moisturizers or aloe vera lotion or gel can also help relieve the pain
  5. If necessary, take an over the counter pain reliever such as ibuprofen, naproxen sodium, or acetaminophen.
  6. Get a tetanus shot. Ensure that you are updated with your tetanus booster.

Major burns

For second to fourth degree burns, call 911 or seek emergency medical assistance. While waiting, do the following procedures:

  • Ensure that the victim is free from exposure to smoldering materials, smoke, or heat.
  • Monitor circulation. Check breathing, coughing, or movement. Perform CPR if needed.
  • Remove jewelry, belts, and other restrictive items. Burned areas are prone to rapid swelling.
  • Keep the burned heart elevated, If possible, raise it above heart level.
  • Cover the burned area with a cool, moist, bandage, or a clean cloth.

If you are not sure whether the injury is major or minor, check the extent of tissue damage based on the following burn characteristics:

  • First degree burn involves only the skin’s outer layers. It comes with redness, swelling, and pain. When it involves the hands, feet, face, groin, buttocks, or a major joint, this may require immediate medical attention.
  • For second degree burns that is no bigger than 3 inches, consider it as a minor burn. But if it is larger and takes up most of the hands, feet, face, groin, buttocks or a major joint, it is a major burn that requires immediate medical attention.
  • 3rd degree burns involves all the skin layers and the underlying fat. It may affect the bones and muscles. It is accompanied by difficulty in breathing, carbon monoxide poisoning, and other toxic effects.

For major burns, medical assistance is required to prevent infection which may cause further complications. Maintaining the cleanliness of the burn wounds is important during the healing process. The dressing needs frequent change to keep the wound from getting infected. If you have a severe wound, you would stay under a doctor’s care until your conditions improve.

Read More

What If My Child Gets Injured During Childbirth?

Posted by on Jan 11, 2016 in Birth Injuries | 0 comments

About-to-Be parents are often plagued with a specific feeling once they find out that they’re going to have a child. Of course, most couples are ecstatic at the prospect while some may find that their soon-to-be addition to the family was unexpected, there is a specific feeling all the same that joins them all together: worries and fear.

What if I’m not good parent? What if I’m not ready to raise a child? And, one of the most crucial: what if something goes wrong?

This is something common for expecting couples or single parents as it is often in the nature of parents to worry about the safety of their offspring. However, when the fear becomes actualized – when the worst case scenario is upon them, a rare few actually know what to do next. They spend so long thinking about what could go wrong that so few actually prepare for what happens if things actually do go wrong.

So, what do you do if your child gets injured during childbirth? Stretch that timeframe out a bit as a child can still be vulnerable to significant injury until the age of 2—so, what do you do?

First things first, it is of the utmost importance to consult with someone who has significant expertise first. If the injury happened during delivery, a birth injury lawyer may argue that the doctor could be at fault. If your child becomes afflicted with cerebral palsy, that’s going to mean years of physical therapy and lifelong medication since cerebral palsy has no cure. If there was someone responsible for the child getting cerebral palsy then that person responsible needs to be accountable for the consequences of their actions.

Birth injuries are not just physically draining and traumatizing—this is true emotionally and financially as well. There is no shame in asking for help when you need it.

Read More

Wrongful Death Action

Posted by on Sep 12, 2015 in Wrongful Death | 0 comments

To lose someone is indeed very difficult to handle and deal with, but losing someone who is the main provider of the home can be very devastating in so many ways. Fortunately, there are laws that allow the deceased estate to file for wrongful death claims and survival action claims. There are certain differences between both claims, and it is important to understand these differences in order to know which legal action to go with.

Whilst wrongful death claims are made to provide compensation for damages to the deceased estate brought about by the death, a survival action can claim for damages and further injuries that the victim suffered before their death, in which the victim would have pursued should they have lived. A survival action claim can be filed when the victim did not immediately die after the accident, and during that certain time span was able to incur further medical bills and additional expenses, along with physical and emotional discomfort. When these situations happen, the deceased’ estate can file for both wrongful death claim and survival action claim. This will help them recover any damages that were incurred before the victim’s death due to the other party’s negligent or wrongful act.

Wrongful death laws and survival action laws can differ from each state. Furthermore, it’s important to determine who has the right to file for the claims, understand the process of appointing someone to represent the deceased’ estate, and the possible damages that may be awarded in the claim. Although the financial compensation awarded by the court may not bring back the life of the victim, it may ease the financial burden of the loss and give justice to the case.

Read More

Large Truck Accidents: Common Causes

Posted by on May 11, 2015 in Personal Injury | 0 comments

The high number of road accidents remains a serious problem across America. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), a total of 32,719 people were killed in motor vehicle crashes during the year 2013. About 3,000 of these victims died in accidents involving large trucks. These numbers point to a rather disturbing trend involving the larger vehicles motorists are usually sharing the road with. As the IIHS puts it, about 1 in 10 highway fatalities occur because of large truck accidents. Considering the way that these trucks overpower all other types of vehicles, it’s easy to surmise why these incidents result in outcomes that are so tragic and devastating.

As one can imagine, any collision between a large truck and a smaller vehicle can easily turn to a catastrophic scenario. Large trucks like 18-wheelers and tractor-trailers can weigh around 20 to 30 times more than regular passenger cars. These vehicles are also much larger and have greater ground clearance. This makes large trucks much harder to control and maneuver. Due to its weight, a truck will require a longer distance before being able to come to a full stop. Its sheer size also gives a truck more blind spots or no-zones.

As a result, truck operators are not able to see the vehicles surrounding them easily. Experienced drivers are trained to keep a safe distance from other vehicles and keep an eye out on these no-zones. However, a slight mistake can easily have some deadly consequences. In some of the worst cases, cars can slide beneath a truck. The consequences can become even more severe when large trucks hit motorcyclists, bicyclists, or pedestrians.

Aside from no-zones, the website of McCutchen & Sexton – The Law Firm also points to other factors that commonly contribute to large truck accidents. According to their experience, accidents can also occur due to fatigue or distracted driving, as well as improper training. Trucks carrying improper or overweight load are also more susceptible to accidents. In some cases, truck accidents are also caused by vehicles that don’t receive proper maintenance and upkeep.

Read More

Domestic Violence in the US

Posted by on Feb 10, 2015 in Domestic Violence | 0 comments

The increase of domestic violence in the United States has been so much that it can be classified as an epidemic, with statistics showing that at least three million children bear witness to domestic violence every year. Domestic violence has become a motivator for an abused spouse to file for divorce, which is especially important when there is a child or children involved. A domestic violence issue would play a vital role in child custody, since any evidence presented in court will be considered in order to determine child custody. Often, custody is denied to the parent who have committed the domestic abuse if the court determines the person is a threat to the safety of the child or the other parent.

In the State of North Carolina, an abusive parent will not automatically lose visitation rights and custody. The judges will have to weigh a number of factors in order to determine who will have the legal custody (given the decision-making authority in behalf of the child) and the physical custody (where the child will live) to ensure that the child will be provided the safest and most balanced environment for the child’s physical and emotional needs. If a parent has a long history of domestic violence, it may be a reason for him or her to not be given sole physical custody of the child.

When a parent has already filed for divorce and wishes to protect their child from the other parent, the website of Marshall & Taylor, PLLC says getting a protective order. This is a court given order to prevent the abuser from doing further harm, and to keep a safe distance away from you and the child as well as the places that you frequent. These forms are available online and finding a good family lawyer may help in securing it, especially if there is a high possibility of domestic violence in the future. Victims should not be afraid of getting help since there various institutions that offer safety and protection, such as The North Carolina Council for Women/Domestic Violence Coalition and the Department of Justice.

Read More

Eat, Drink and Be Merry…but Don’t Drive

Posted by on Oct 28, 2014 in Drinking and Driving Law | 1 comment

Texas is known to have tough driving while intoxicated (DWI) laws, and this is backed by stringent enforcement in response to public pressure to crack down on violators. It is understandable to want drunk drivers off the street because they do run a high risk of accidents, but sometimes you can get caught in the middle.

Holidays are an especially prickly time for Dallas law enforcement because a lot of people tend to get carried away with the merrymaking all at the same time all over the city. Most people are aware that getting behind the wheel after a convivial evening is not a good idea, but with nary a designated driver in sight, options are limited. There is no intention to do harm, but the tendency is to believe that since nothing untoward has happened before, nothing will happen this time. That is, until something does happen and you get arrested for DWI.

A DWI is no small potatoes anywhere, and Texas is no exception. Depending on the circumstances of an arrest, you could be facing anywhere between 72 hours to 99 years in prison plus jail time, license suspension or revocation, liability lawsuits…it is the crime that just keeps on giving.

However, an arrest does not necessarily have to lead to conviction, even if there seems to be overwhelming evidence for one. As the lomtl website states, there are many ways that a case may have been mishandled, from the original stop to the handling of the evidence, which can mean a dismissal or at least probation for the defendant. A competent Dallas criminal defense lawyer will find a way if any at all exists in a particular case. The important thing is to submit to field sobriety tests but refrain from giving any additional information or explanation without consulting with a lawyer first about your rights in such a situation.

Read More

Applying for an SR-22

Posted by on Oct 13, 2014 in Insurance | 0 comments

A certificate of financial responsibility or SR-22 is required in Illinois for certain drivers who may have safety responsibility shortcoming and have had their licenses cancelled or suspended. The certification is issued by a state-accredited insurance company to the office of the Secretary of State, which then has the authorization to impose a further license suspension or revocation if the SR-22 is cancelled (for violations of the conditions of the certificate) or expires.

When applying for an SR-22, you have to be sure that the insurance company is authorized to issue them, and has a power of attorney in Illinois on file. An SR-22 is issued as one of three types: an operator’s certificate for drivers that do not own the vehicle they operate, an owner’s certificate is intended to cover vehicle/s owned by the applicant, or operators-owners certificate which provides guarantees for all vehicles that are operated by the driver, owned or not.

The process of applying for an SR-22 is certainly not the same as a standard car insurance which you can usually get on the spot upon payment. With an SR-22, the insurance agent has to request for one from the central office. Once it is accomplished, the SR-22 is sent to the office of the Secretary of State where it may take a month or so to process. The applicant is then provided with a copy of the SR-22 as well as a letter from the office of the Secretary of State.

The certificate has to stay in effect for 3 years in Illinois, and renewed every year 45 days before it expires to avoid problems. The failure of which will result in a driving record suspension when the insurer forwards an SR-26 or Cancellation Certificate to the Safety and Financial Responsibility Section, which can only be lifted when and if the SR-22 is reinstated. For more information on this topic, contact your local car accident lawyer.

Read More

The Severe Consequences of Truck Accidents

Posted by on Jul 23, 2014 in Personal Injury | 2 comments

On May 29, 2013, near Syracuse, New York, a truck’s trailer came loose and crashed into an approaching minivan; of the minivan’s eight passengers, seven were killed – four children, with ages ranging from 4 – 7, and three adults.

A week earlier, on May 24, somewhere in Washington state, a truck rammed into a bridge’s support beams, causing one area of the bridge to collapse and sending cars, with their drivers inside, into the cold waters of the Skagit River.

In the accidents mentioned above, the truck drivers were perfectly safe; the victims, however, were either dead or severely injured. This is a usual result of motor vehicle accidents were trucks are involved. Due to the size of trucks, as well as the much heavier materials these are made of, losses (whether lives and/or properties) are always on the side of the much smaller, or slower, vehicle).

Every year, about 4,500 deaths in accidents that involve trucks are reported to the Department of Transportation. The US DOT, with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and each state’s department of transportation, which has its own set of laws that govern the trucking industry, work together to lessen truck accidents and make US roads and highways safe, especially for other motorists.

Besides laws that mandate trucking firms to ensure that trucks are always in good condition (requiring regular checking and maintenance of these huge vehicles), laws are also imposed regarding the hiring and training of truck drivers (including mandates to keep drivers, who lack the skills required in operating a truck safely, off the road). Laws also specify the maximum number of hours that drivers are allowed to drive continuously and the total number of hours of rest they should be given.

The blood alcohol concentration (BAC) limit for commercial drivers has also been set to 0.04%, while on January 3, 2012, a mandate on the total banning of cell phone use (which included reaching for, holding or dialing a cell phone) was passed. This was followed, a year after, by a law, which required the use of a Bluetooth headset, a safe way of taking and making calls without losing one’s focus on the road.

The laws were specifically intended to address the identified major factors that caused trucke accidents – driver fatigue and sleepiness, drunk-driving and distraction due to cell phone use. There are many other laws and standards imposed by the government to make roads safer from trucks, as truck accidents almost always lead to catastrophic results. If involved in a truck accident, victims should seek the help of a personal injury lawyer. The tort law, under which personal injury is classified, can be more than complicated to the victims and their families. Allowing a highly-qualified and competent lawyer to represent victims is, sometimes, the only means to enable these victims to merit the compensation that they legally deserve.

Read More

Mechanical Doctors – The Wonders of Medical Technology

Posted by on Dec 8, 2013 in Technology | 1 comment

There’s no doubt about it – the new doctor in the house is more than committed to perform the daily rounds to check on patients’ conditions . . . every day and at any time. The only thing is, it’s not human; it’s a robot.

For some years now, hospitals have been employing robots to help perform doctors’ tasks from the most basic, such as checking on patients through daily rounds, to the most complicated, think minimally invasive surgery. And since these robots have been specifically designed to perform hospital duties, they’re really great in what they do and can do.

Two famous robots that have been approved by the FDA are the da Vinci Surgical multi-armed robot and the RP-VITA Remote Presence Robot, the very first navigation remote-presence robot that has been approved hospital use. Thus, the next time a doctor checks on you, even if its hand is mechanical, never be surprised; it’s just your friendly robot doctor which is just making sure you’re perfectly alright.

Read More

What You Need to Know when Seeking a Nonimmigrant Visa

Posted by on Oct 23, 2013 in Immigration Laws | 0 comments

Obtaining a nonimmigrant visa is a confusing process for the majority of people looking to work or study in the United States. In order to move the process along quickly many people seeking visa status hire a lawyer. Nonimmigrant visas are classified under two categories, those based on employment, and those based on factors not dealing with employment.

Typically work-related visas are available to people who only plan on working temporarily in the United States. Many of the visas, like the H-1b, H-2b, and L-1a allow people to work up to three years before their visa is up for renewal. According to the website of the Law Office of William Jang PLLC, there are derivative visas for children or family members of people seeking temporary work visas. Most times derivative visas for children under the age of 21 allow (even require) them to attend school.

Some of the nonimmigrant visas based on employment are available to specialty professionals, transferees from international companies, religious workers, temporary business visitors, and treaty traders. In some cases, people looking to obtain an employment visa must have worked in their native country for multiple years before they are eligible to receive a visa.

In addition to employment-based visas, nonimmigrant visas can also be for people not seeking employment, like the spouse or fiancé of a United States citizen, a student, or a long-term visitor. Additionally, the Visa Waver Program (VWP) allows temporary visitors to forgo the process of trying to get a visa. In order to qualify for the VWP program, the visitor must be able to prove that they have sufficient funds and that the duration of their trip will be 90 days or less. Currently, 35 countries participate in the VWP program.

Read More