A Bird's Eye View on Home Improvement

Immigration Laws

What You Need to Know when Seeking a Nonimmigrant Visa

Posted by on Oct 23, 2013 in Immigration Laws | 0 comments

Obtaining a nonimmigrant visa is a confusing process for the majority of people looking to work or study in the United States. In order to move the process along quickly many people seeking visa status hire a lawyer. Nonimmigrant visas are classified under two categories, those based on employment, and those based on factors not dealing with employment.

Typically work-related visas are available to people who only plan on working temporarily in the United States. Many of the visas, like the H-1b, H-2b, and L-1a allow people to work up to three years before their visa is up for renewal. According to the website of the Law Office of William Jang PLLC, there are derivative visas for children or family members of people seeking temporary work visas. Most times derivative visas for children under the age of 21 allow (even require) them to attend school.

Some of the nonimmigrant visas based on employment are available to specialty professionals, transferees from international companies, religious workers, temporary business visitors, and treaty traders. In some cases, people looking to obtain an employment visa must have worked in their native country for multiple years before they are eligible to receive a visa.

In addition to employment-based visas, nonimmigrant visas can also be for people not seeking employment, like the spouse or fiancé of a United States citizen, a student, or a long-term visitor. Additionally, the Visa Waver Program (VWP) allows temporary visitors to forgo the process of trying to get a visa. In order to qualify for the VWP program, the visitor must be able to prove that they have sufficient funds and that the duration of their trip will be 90 days or less. Currently, 35 countries participate in the VWP program.

Read More